Tuesday, December 9, 2014

Homemade Venison Treats for Tasty Tuesday!

We're in Florida here, and we have a lot of deer--I mean, a lot. If you threw pixie dust on all the White Tailed deer in Florida they could probably take the whole of the United States to Santa, no need for his reindeer to do the duty ;).

Anyway, while I personally love deer as a species and am a vegetarian I'm not against refusing venison freely offered as it makes great treats for the dogs! So far I don't feed raw (Quenya can't have it at all, ever, and I like to feed the dogs the same thing so they get a high-quality kibble and cooked meat). My family was recently given a decent amount of venison and as per usual gave me all the cuttings/trimmings/extra bits to turn into dog treats!

First, the venison was boiled



Then it was ground in my blender to get a mushy, smooth texture

After this I mixed approximately 2 cups venison with 1 cup ground oats, 1 large egg and water to texture, spread it out on a baking pan and baked it at 350 F for 30 minutes


After half an hour at 350 F I broke the pieces up and baked for 1 1/2 hours at 275 F.

I then broke up the pieces into various sizes according to my preferences and testing the recipe on the dogs! Victoria didn't care for them, but that's nothing new. Quenya loved them (she loves pretty much everything) and WOW did Skipper go bananas for these!!




"Pawsup! Is a cue for him to put his paws on whatever I indicate. In this case it was my knee. You can see how focused he is on the off-screen treat.

When it was Quenya's turn for the treat Skipper still tried (unsuccessfully) to steal her treats as well!


No comments:

Post a Comment