Friday, April 17, 2015

Hiking, classes, and sport practice

You can tell that she'd already had a good roll in the dew-soaked grass.

Quenya loves her off-leash hikes. She's the only one of the pupcrew I completely* trust to hike off-leash. Victoria won't wander far, but she has the typical Pug attitude of "Hey, I love you, but that doesn't mean I gotta listen." If I'm in an area I've been to before and it's far removed from traffic dangers I'll let Tory off leash, but that's it. She's a work-in-progress though, and improving every day! Most especially in the last couple weeks I've noticed Skipper is really getting a solid recall...but I probably won't work him off-leash outside of a fenced area for several more months. He's an adolescent, and a terrier, and frankly I don't trust him. But we are moving up to long-line work in public, and we have a trip planned to the park later on this week to do some distance stay/recall work. Stay tuned for that update!

Disc-wise Skipper has been flopping all over the place. He chases the disc and takes off with it. He chases the disc half-way then wanders off to smell something. He chases the disc, smells it, and runs back to me--leaving the disc there. I'm hoping it's just a phase, not a sign of waning interest. On the plus side, we've been doing some barn-hunt type games at home and he is loving it. I can't wait until we go to our first barn hunt event--hopefully later this year!

Quenya starts a trick dog class this coming Thursday that runs for five weeks, so we're really looking forward to that. She already knows a lot of tricks but we both enjoy being social so I know we'll benefit from the environment, and at the end we're applying for her novice trick dog title.

*Keeping in mind that dogs can always be unpredictable and owners need to be aware and ready for any situation.

 


2 comments:

  1. My little sister knows her sports but seems to get bored with it from time to time too and just doesn't do what she is supposed to. We can't do barn hunts as they would cause conflict with our tracking and nose work, but if we did, they sure would be fun! Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our Maggie is pretty good off leash, but Jack is totally unpredictable - he'll be perfect 99% of the time...but that 1% still worries me. We;come to the Hop.

    ReplyDelete