Monday, April 13, 2015

No, I'm not a weird Miniature Pinscher, and neither of my parents was an Italian Greyhound ~ Or, the existence of the Rat Terrier

Alrighty guys, it's me, Skipper, for this one! I like people, for the most part. Sometimes though, they speak dog so badly I just can't stand it. In the pet store this weekend this lady cooed all over me, and towered over me, pawing with her giant hands at my head. I'm a little dog people, please kneel down if you want to pet me. How would you like it if the Empire State Building grew arms and tried to pick you up? Not. Fun. let me tell you.

Mom gave me lots of treats, and no permanent harm was done, but the lady did ask if I was a Miniature Pinscher. Of course mom said no, but it brings up an interesting topic. The majority of people who meet me ask if I am a Whippet or Italian Greyhound mix, or if I'm a Miniature Pinscher. When Mom says I'm a Rat Terrier, we usually get blank faces. Ah, well, we were only recognized by the AKC in 2013, and according to their website we're the 111th most popular breed out of what their website lists as 184 recognized breeds. We're so awesome though, I know we're going to get popular! (Although mom kind of wishes we wouldn't, we're a healthy, unexploited breed at the moment).

Anyway, I figured I'd take this post to give you guys a short version of how we Ratties came about!
So, we started with the Old English White terrier, like lots of other terrier breeds of today. Then, we were crossed with Fox Terriers and Manchester Terriers for a while in America. Farmers and the hunters of the day decided that those crosses could be made faster and gain a better sniffer, so they bred in small sighthounds and beagle. Cross those guys back to more Fox Terriers and small feists of the day and you get the Rat Terrier!

One of my Grandmas! She was reeeeeally old here, I think.

One of my Grandpas!

Another one of my Grandpa's!

My Canine Mommy!

Daddy!
MEEEEE!!
So, world, topics covered today: Don't be the Empire State Building that grew arms, and now you know what a Rat Terrier is!

No comments:

Post a Comment